Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Definition of Happiness

I've been chewing on the idea of happiness on and off for a while now, and I've noticed something. It seems like it's far easier to get a grasp on what happiness is not than what it is. We can see easily that Western society's biggest problems is a misunderstanding of what truly brings happiness and what true happiness is. For nearly 60 years we have been programmed, literally, to believe that happiness is Stuff, that happiness is Self-Sacrifice, that happiness is Falling In Love, that happiness is basically every self-serving illusion we can come up with. I think that half the reason that people get involved in sites like this is due to a dissatisfaction with society's ideas about happiness, so I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here.

But what actually is happiness, and how do we find it? That's a lot tougher, mostly because happiness is a pretty individual thing; that which brings me happiness may bring you boredom, or vice versa. But I think I have a pretty solid idea, so I wanted to post it here and get some feedback on how my ideas resonate with all of you. Happiness, I believe, can be broken down into two broad categories:

1) Happiness through self-definition.
2) Happiness through connection to others.

These two define the outward and return paths that souls take in their evolution, first one of movement outward toward the creation of a individual self, then inward toward connection to others and, ultimately, Unity. I believe that just about everything that can truly make us happy can fit into these two broad categories or into both to some extent. Let's look at a few examples and how they can be warped.

Love: The ultimate in the second category, but can be twisted into possessiveness, which distorts connection through the desire to deny others the "special" connection you have, or self-sacrifice, which denies self-definition.

Success: A form of self-definition, namely the achieving of goals, which can be distorted into greed (lack of self-definition leading to the judging of worth based upon possessions) and power-hunger (connection overridden by a desire for control)

Spirituality: Can fit into both categories. Distorted versions run the gamut from self-righteousness (lack of self-definition compensated for by surety gained by being "right" or "chosen") to herd mentality (massive overemphasis on connection at the expense of self-definition, thus the "church" is always right and never questioned) to escapism (ascetics and mystics divorcing themselves from society, thus throwing everything into self-definition and ignoring connection).

The key to true happiness, IMHO, is finding the balance point between self-definition and connection to others. Once again we see the seeming-contradiction in human nature, the "divine dichotomy" as Neale Donald Walsch calls it. We must define ourselves as individuals before we can become part of a group, we must have groups in order to define ourselves as individuals.

I would love to hear other's take on this.

JCS

2 comments:

  1. I don't mean to be a 'hear hear' which doesn't help the discussion... In my own experience, unless the external and internal reinforcements of happiness can be balanced, a person ends up whipping around like a weather vane. Internally ones self-definition of happiness can be shaken by sickness, diet, mood, and stagnation. Externaly the experiences that others have and how they reflect and react push you about. Unless you can balance between the two you'll always be at the mercy of either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Balance is important but so is the journey, what we pick up along the way. Someone may not even be aware of something missing from their lives until they encounter it somewhere down their path. What makes me happy at age 52 is in many ways what made me happy at age 25. Art, expression, creativity. However, the way I achieve each one of these things has changed as I have traveled on. I think the soul learns “shortcuts” for accomplishing the same things with less energy expenditure. An example? Well, this post. Blogs didn’t exist when I was 25 so I might have found myself typing a reply on onion skin paper to an article in some magazine (most likely Omni). I would obsess over each sentence, grammar and structure. The reply would take weeks, even months and finally I would give up because the “process was too hard.” Now, it is more important to get an idea across. Use a spell checker and it’s good enough. This means less frustration and more happiness. Thus what we pick up along the journey can be applied to what I am calling the “soul cycle” 1 or 2 as in your example.

    ReplyDelete