Thursday, January 15, 2015

HIndsight Is Not Always 20/20

I have 3 literary works that I am currently devoting energy to.  First, obviously, is TCS.  Second is my WIP, Children of Dusk.  The third is a longer philosophical piece I finished and then shelved about 3 years ago called A Theory of Oneness.  For years I'd wanted to put down on paper a sort of step-by-step explanation of my basic philosophy and how I defend it to myself, and I finally did so during the Spring and Summer of 2012.  I had originally planned for it to be a multipart work, covering theory, implementation, and result of my ideas, but it stalled after the first part.  My new plan was to dust it off, revise it, talk it up, and put it up on Amazon.  So a couple of days ago I dug out that old green notebook (my first drafts are always longhand) and started reading.

Hoo boy.

I knew it was rough, but I didn't expect this; 50-odd pages of meanderings, tangents, and horribly overwrought (overwritten?) sentence structure.  If it were all crap, that would be fine, I'd just junk it, sigh, and move on, but there are some gems in there, and the process of writing it was very important to me.  Putting one's life ideas down on paper is very cathartic, because it forces you to stare unblinking at your own inconsistencies and contradictions.  Writing Theory of Oneness really made me formalize, codify, and justify my ideas. 

But holy hell, this is going to be a lot of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment