Sunday, May 31, 2009

Do Vegetarians Really Taste Better?

Good morning all,

I consider myself a relatively enlightened being. If enlightenment were a school, with Yeshua and Siddhartha Gautama and such as doctorate students and the average person in preschool, I'd put myself in about 4th or 5th grade. Far enough along where we can drop the ABCs and 123s and really start digging into concepts and ideas. But there seems to be a common thread in most people on the Vertical Path that I just can't get my head around, that I not only can't grasp, but totally disagree with.

Vegetarianism.

More often than not, those I would consider "enlightened" tend to lean Vegan, or at least tend to stay away from McDonald's Quarter Pounders. People rail on about the health evils of red meat, the horrible mistreatment of agri-business farm animals, the lack of respect for the spirits of the slaughtered, and so on and so forth, and I honestly disagree.

Ok, maybe I should qualify that disagreement. Yes, animals on big farms are treated horribly. Veal calves and geese raised for foie gras are the most disgusting examples, but even chickens and pigs and cows are treated like machines and not living things. This is wrong (as in, I choose to define my idea of "right" in contrast to this "wrong), and those who are part of this system are racking up a whole bunch of Cause. The accompanying Effect will come eventually, and that probably won't be much fun for them.

That having been cleared up, I honestly feel no wrongdoing whatsoever from firing up my grill, making up a nice black pepper/dried garlic/rosemary rub, getting a couple nice big NY strips or Ribeyes, and having me a good ol' American barbecue. In fact, I derive a certain kind of joy from it. Perhaps this cow was mistreated by others, but I am putting my effort and my joy and my love into making a meal for my family, and when I put this love in and get pleasure out of this meal, I feel I am honoring the animal in the finest way I know how. 

Yes again, overindulging in red meat is bad for you. My beloved Ribeyes have a ton of cholesterol and fat in them, I know this. But full-blown vegetarianism is just as bad in it's own way. Vegans usually have to take iron supplements in order to not become anemic, for example. Think of the stereotypical Vegan: rail thin, paper white, big circles under the eyes? Does that sound healthy to you? Some friends of mine are raising their daughter Vegan. Guess what: she has a ton of digestive health problems and food allergies. Of course, her parents are sure that these issues are pre-existing and not a result of their choices. Me, not so sure. So thus my favorite sides with my steaks is some lightly steamed broccoli or asparagus and a seasoned, unbuttered baked potato. Yum! All things in moderation.

I truly believe that part of the point of life is to create our own definitions of right and wrong, and then to define ourselves based off of those definitions. So if your definition of wrong includes not eating anything that has a face, bully for you. But everyone has to remember that their ideas of right and wrong are exactly that: 1)ideas, not truths, and 2)theirs, not everyones. 

Now excuse me, I'm gonna go make me some bacon and eggs for breakfast. 

CS
__________________
Peace and Joy to all, no exceptions, for we are all One. Thus, my Peace and Joy are also yours, and yours, mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment